Spring Sewing Projects (Part II)

Back in April I made this top using Simplicity 3964 (another Built By Wendy design – gosh I just love her stuff!). I didn’t have any problems with the yoke, but the top is too balloon-y for me… I still need to take it in several inches on either side – hopefully will get to that soon. I also added a tie bottom just in case I wanted to cinch it up rather than just wearing it loose. I might also keep the volume in the top as we are thinking about starting our family soon-ish and it would make a great maternity top… hmmm…

I made some comfy, stretchy straight-leg brown pants from the Built By Wendy: Sew U book. These were actually a muslin for my False Religion jeans, but I ended up finishing the jeans first because I wanted to wear them on a trip to Saskatoon. They were a great learning experience and I will definitely wear them, but the belt loops need a bit of fixing and the crotch kind of looks weird I think… I definitely prefer the jeans.

I like to follow the trends somewhat, although I think I will be giving all the new pants with front pleats a miss… As a child growing up in the 90’s I committed some horrendous crimes of fashion involving front pleats and I still can’t move past it, so I’m not about to try THAT trend… However, a fun 80’s trend that I’m loving for spring/summer is all the rompers featured in the latest fashion magazines. I made this romper for myself out of some jade green jersey that was rescued from a sewing fail. I found the pattern at the thrift store for $0.25 and altered it to make it a bit longer in the crotch as I am quite long in the body. I totally love it! I wore it as a bathing suit cover-up when I went boating with my in-laws the other day – it was perfect!

My best friend is expecting her first child in just over a month, so I figured I better get cracking on the handmade portion of her gift (I found some adorable outfits at the thrift store already that are going into the gift package). I used some leftover cotton blend fabric from a dress I made for myself to create this ridiculously adorable jumper for the little guy. I used Simplicity 6948 (circa 1975), which actually looks a lot like this Oliver+S pattern… Seeing how I paid only $0.25 for my pattern at the thrift store, I’m fine with any differences between my finished garment and the lovely Oliver+S playsuit! Since Gavin will be arriving in late July, I figured size 6 months wouldn’t be big enough (since he would be 6 months old in late January and Newfoundland winters are anything but mild), so I had to size it up a bit. I’m not sure if I was too zoned out watching the World Cup game while I was cutting out fabric, but I forgot to increase the size on the back and front facing pieces – oops! So I had to insert a small piece of extra fabric to make the facings fit with the main part of the suit… le sigh… Oh well, it was worth it. I love soccer (or football, heheh).

My sister-in-law is visiting from the UK for a few weeks and she made me some iron-transfer labels for my finished garments. She is an amazingly talented artist, you can check out her stuff here. So I used a large one in Gavin’s playsuit and a very small (hardly noticeable) one in the lingerie bag I made for my friend’s shower gift. I think they look nice and add an extra personal touch to my creations.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: